SubjectRe: 2.6.19 -mm merge plans
On Fri, Sep 22, 2006 at 04:22:43PM -0400, Jeff Garzik wrote:
> Roland Dreier wrote:
> >My way of handling this has been to wait until you've acted on my
> >first merge request before sending another one. I also don't touch my
> >published "for-linus" branch in git until you've pulled it. I just
> >batch up pending changes in my "for-2.6.19" branch until my next merge
> >(and I also encourage people interested in Infiniband to run my
> >for-2.6.19 branch)
>

> That's pretty much what I do. I run a
> git branch upstream-linus upstream
>
> and then submit a pull request for the upstream-linus branch. That way,
> I can keep working and committing stuff, and don't have to wait for
> Linus to pull.
>
> Then, after the pull, I delete the branch
> git branch -D upstream-linus
>
> locally, and repeat the process next time a bunch of changes are queued up.

Just in case anyone else is reading along and absorbing Git commands,
please use:
git branch -d upstream-linus
which will at least tell you if the commits in that tree aren't in your
current tree before blowing away work in hard-to-recover ways.

(Not necessarily aimed at Jeff.)

--

Ryan Anderson
sometimes Pug Majere