    SubjectRe: [RFC] Initial alpha-0 for new page allocator API
    On Fri, 22 Sep 2006, Andi Kleen wrote:

    > On Friday 22 September 2006 06:02, Christoph Lameter wrote:
    > > We have repeatedly discussed the problems of devices having varying
    > > address range requirements for doing DMA.
    > We already have such an API. dma_alloc_coherent(). Device drivers
    > are not supposed to mess with GFP_DMA* directly anymore for quite
    > some time.

    Device drivers need to be able to indicate ranges of addresses that may be
    different from ZONE_DMA. This is an attempt to come up with a future
    scheme that does no longer rely on device drivers referring to zoies.

    > > We would like for the device
    > > drivers to have the ability to specify exactly which address range is
    > > allowed.
    > I actually have my doubts it is a good idea to add that now. The devices
    > with weird requirements are steadily going away

    Hmm.... Martin?

      Last update: 2006-09-22 18:39    [W:0.107 / U:59.232 seconds]