    SubjectRe: [patch00/05]: Containers(V2)- Introduction
    On Wed, 20 Sep 2006, Alan Cox wrote:

    > Ar Mer, 2006-09-20 am 09:25 -0700, ysgrifennodd Christoph Lameter:
    > > We already have such a functionality in the kernel its called a cpuset. A
    > > container could be created simply by creating a fake node that then
    > > allows constraining applications to this node. We already track the
    > > types of pages per node. The statistics you want are already existing.
    > > See /proc/zoneinfo and /sys/devices/system/node/node*/*.
    >
    > CPUsets don't appear to scale to large numbers of containers (say 5000,
    > with 200-500 doing stuff at a time). They also don't appear to do any
    > tracking of kernel side resource objects, which is critical to
    > containment. Indeed for some of us the CPU management and user memory
    > management angle is mostly uninteresting.

    The scalability issues can certainly be managed. See the discussions on
    linux-mm. Kernel side resource objects? slab pages? Those are tracked.

    > I'm also not clear how you handle shared pages correctly under the fake
    > node system, can you perhaps explain that further how this works for say
    > a single apache/php/glibc shared page set across 5000 containers each a
    > web site.

    Cpusets can share nodes. I am not sure what the problem would be? Paul may
    be able to give you more details.

      Last update: 2006-09-20 19:19    [W:0.021 / U:30.220 seconds]