SubjectRe: [RFC] page fault retry with NOPAGE_RETRY
On Tue, 2006-09-19 at 16:35 -0700, Mike Waychison wrote:
> Patch attached.
>
> As Andrew points out, the logic is a bit hacky and using a flag in
> current->flags to determine whether we have done the retry or not already.
>
> I too think the right approach to being able to handle these kinds of
> retries in a more general fashion is to introduce a struct
> pagefault_args along the page faulting path. Within it, we could
> introduce a reason for the retry so the higher levels would be able to
> better understand what to do.

.../...

I need to re-read your mail and Andrew as at this point, I don't quite
see why we need that args and/or that current->flags bit instead of
always returning all the way to userland and let the faulting
instruction happen again (which means you don't block in the kernel, can
take signals etc... thus do you actually need to prevent multiple
retries ?)

Ben.

  Last update: 2006-09-20 01:53    [W:0.165 / U:0.076 seconds]