    SubjectRe: tracepoint maintainance models

    * Roman Zippel <zippel@linux-m68k.org> wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > On Sun, 17 Sep 2006, Ingo Molnar wrote:
    >
    > > > This thread would be much better off talking about how to go about
    > > > implementing lightweight markers rather than spent on mindless rants.
    > >
    > > i agree, as long as it's lightweight markers for _dynamic tracers_, so
    > > that we keep our options open - as per the arguments above.
    >
    > Could you please explain, why we can't have markers which are usable
    > by any tracer?

    the main reason for that i explained in the portion of the email you
    snipped:

    > > On the other hand, if we accept static tracers into the mainline
    > > kernel, we have to decide in favor of tracepoint-maintainance model
    > > #1 _FOREVER_. It will be a point of no return for a likely long
    > > time. Moving a static tracepoint or even breaking it will cause
    > > end-user pain that needs an _upstream kernel fix_. It needs a new
    > > stable kernel, etc., etc. It is very inflexible, and fundamentally
    > > so.

    of course it's easy to have static markup that is usable for both types
    of tracers - but that is of little use. Static tracers also need the
    guarantee of a _full set_ of static markups. It is that _guarantee_ of a
    full set that i'm arguing against primarily. Without that guarantee it's
    useless to have markups that can be used by static tracers as well: you
    wont get a full set of tracepoints and the end-user will complain.
    (partial static markups are of course still very useful to dynamic
    tracers)

    ( furthermore, there are other reasons as well: i explained my position
    in some of those replies that you did not want to "further dvelve
    into". I'm happy to give you Message-IDs if you'd like to follow up on
    them, there's no need to repeat them here. )

    Ingo

      Last update: 2006-09-17 17:21    [W:2.508 / U:0.168 seconds]