    SubjectRe: What's in linux-2.6-block.git
    Date
    Jens Axboe wrote:
    > On Wed, Sep 13 2006, Al Boldi wrote:
    > > Jens Axboe wrote:
    > > > This lists the main features of the 'block' branch, which is bound for
    > > > Linus when 2.6.19 opens:
    > > >
    > > > - Splitting of request->flags into two parts:
    > > > - cmd type
    > > > - modified flags
    > > > Right now it's a bit of a mess, splitting this up invites a cleaner
    > > > usage and also enables us to implement generic "messages" passed on
    > > > the regular queue for the device.
    > > >
    > > > - Abstract out the request back merging and put it into the core io
    > > > scheduler layer. Cleans up all the io schedulers, and noop gets
    > > > merging for "free".
    > > >
    > > > - Abstract out the rbtree sorting. Gets rid of duplicated code in
    > > > as/cfq/deadline.
    > > >
    > > > - General shrinkage of the request structure.
    > > >
    > > > - Killing dynamic rq private structures in deadline/as/cfq. This
    > > > should speed up the io path somewhat, as we avoid allocating several
    > > > structures (struct request + scheduler private request) for each io
    > > > request.
    > > >
    > > > - meta data io logging for blktrace.
    > > >
    > > > - CFQ improvements.
    > > >
    > > > - Make the block layer configurable through Kconfig (David Howells).
    > > >
    > > > - Lots of cleanups.
    > >
    > > Does it also address the strange "max_sectors_kb<>192 causes a
    > > 50%-slowdown" problem?
    >
    > (remember to cc me/others when replying, I can easily miss lkml
    > messages for several days otherwise).
    >
    > It does not, the investigation of that is still pending I'm afraid. The
    > data is really puzzling, I'm inclined to think it's drive related. Are
    > you reproducing it just one box/drive, or on several?

    Several boxes, same drive.

    /dev/hda:

    ATA device, with non-removable media
    Model Number: WDC WD1200JB-00DUA0
    Serial Number: WD-WMACM1007651
    Firmware Revision: 65.13G65
    Standards:
    Supported: 6 5 4 3
    Likely used: 6
    Configuration:
    Logical max current
    cylinders 16383 65535
    heads 16 1
    sectors/track 63 63
    --
    CHS current addressable sectors: 4128705
    LBA user addressable sectors: 234441648
    LBA48 user addressable sectors: 234441648
    device size with M = 1024*1024: 114473 MBytes
    device size with M = 1000*1000: 120034 MBytes (120 GB)
    Capabilities:
    LBA, IORDY(can be disabled)
    bytes avail on r/w long: 98 Queue depth: 1
    Standby timer values: spec'd by Standard, with device specific minimum
    R/W multiple sector transfer: Max = 16 Current = 16
    Recommended acoustic management value: 128, current value: 254
    DMA: mdma0 mdma1 mdma2 udma0 udma1 udma2 udma3 udma4 *udma5
    Cycle time: min=120ns recommended=120ns
    PIO: pio0 pio1 pio2 pio3 pio4
    Cycle time: no flow control=120ns IORDY flow control=120ns
    Commands/features:
    Enabled Supported:
    * READ BUFFER cmd
    * WRITE BUFFER cmd
    * Host Protected Area feature set
    * Look-ahead
    * Write cache
    * Power Management feature set
    Security Mode feature set
    * SMART feature set
    * FLUSH CACHE EXT command
    * Mandatory FLUSH CACHE command
    * Device Configuration Overlay feature set
    * 48-bit Address feature set
    Automatic Acoustic Management feature set
    SET MAX security extension
    * DOWNLOAD MICROCODE cmd
    * SMART self-test
    * SMART error logging