    SubjectRe: 2.6.18-rc6-mm1: GPF loop on early boot

    Le 11.09.2006 01:03, Jeremy Fitzhardinge a écrit :
    > Andrew Morton wrote:
    >> I must say that having an unreliable early-current is going to be quite a
    >> pita for evermore. Things like mcount-based tricks and
    >> basic-block-profiling-based tricks, for example.
    >>
    >> Is it really going to be too messy to fake up some statically-defined gdt
    >> which points at init_task, install that before we call any C at all?
    >
    > That's on my TODO list - make %gs set correctly before hitting C code,
    > and get rid of all the early_* stuff. I had already encountered a
    > PDA-related oops with lockdep enabled, and addressed it.
    >
    > It's pretty easy to solve in general for the boot CPU, but its a bit
    > more tricky to handle for secondary CPUs.
    >
    > Laurent, could you resend your original oops? It doesn't seem to have
    > appeared on lkml.

    I guess my original mail was too big. Sorry for that.
    Please go to http://laurent.riffard.free.fr/2.6.18-rc6-mm1/,
    you'll find the files I sent in my first post:

    * DSC02674.jpg (96k): screenshot of first GPF
    * config-2.6.18-rc6-mm1 (48k)
    * dmesg-2.6.18-rc6-mm1 (25k)

    > In the meantime, I'll work on a proper fix for this.

    laurent