    SubjectRe: 2.6.18-rc6-mm1: GPF loop on early boot
    Date
    On Sunday 10 September 2006 15:26, Ingo Molnar wrote:
    > * Andi Kleen <ak@suse.de> wrote:
    > > > Basically, non-atomic setup of basic architecture state _is_ going to
    > > > be a nightmare, lockdep or not, especially if it uses common
    > > > infrastructure like 'current', spin_lock() or even something as simple
    > > > as C functions. (for example the stack-footprint tracer was once hit by
    > > > this weakness of the x86_64 code)
    > >
    > > I disagree with that. The nightmare is putting stuff that needs so
    > > much infrastructure into the most basic operations.
    >
    > ugh, "having a working current" is "so much infrastructure" ??

    Together with stacktrace the infrastructure needed is quite
    considerable.

    > the i686 PDA patches introduce tons of early_current() uses. While i
    > like the new PDA code, its bootstrap (like x86_64's PDA bootstrap) is
    > too fragile in my opinion, and it will regularly hit instrumenting
    > patches.

    Or the instrumentation patches just always need to check
    some global variable. Maybe system_state could be extended or something.

    > Perhaps the early setup code (if we really want to do it all in C)

    Sorry but moving it into assembler would be just crazy.

    > should be moved into 32-bit early boot userspace code (like
    > compressed/misc.c) and it will thus not depend on any kernel
    > infrastructure.

    Ok I guess it would make sense to add a i386_start_kernel to i386 and
    initialize the boot PDA there. I would also move early_cpu_init
    into there because that also avoids quite some mess later.

    -Andi

      Last update: 2006-09-10 15:47    [W:3.386 / U:0.156 seconds]