SubjectRe: Time to forbid non-subscribers from posting to the list?
Alexey Zaytsev wrote:
> Hello, list.
>
> What are the objections to makeing lkml and other lists at vget
> subscribers-only?
> Non-subscribers messages could still be allowed after moderation.
> I get 1/4 of my spam from lkml, and see no benefit from allowing
> non-subscribers to freely post to the list. If you are not subscribed,
> you just have to wait until your mail gets approved by the moderator,
> and it is not hard to subscribe anyway.
This doesn't really prevent spam - the spammers can
subscribe - post spam - unsubscribe
or subscribe from free webmail accounts that they don't care about
anyway.

The moderator setup have the problem that nobody wants to be
moderator. Today, you are moderator of your own lkml mailbox,
and you hate that. :-/

I don't filter my lkml mail, yet the spam is not a problem for me.
I receive lkml in a mailbox of its own, and the few spam messages
are obvious from the subject line alone. So I never read them,
just delete them along with the mass deletion of other uninteresting
messages. (I.e. issues with hw I don't have.)

Most mail systems allow you to filter lkml into a mailbox of its own.
Mail readers like mozilla or mutt lets you skip dubious messages
easily, mozilla even have a filter of its own if you care to use it.

Helge Hafting

  Last update: 2006-08-09 10:51    [W:0.117 / U:0.420 seconds]