    SubjectRe: [RFC] Simple Slab: A slab allocator with minimal meta information
    On Wed, Aug 09, 2006 at 05:52:00PM -0700, Christoph Lameter wrote:
    > This is by no means complete and probably full of bugs. Feedback and help
    > wanted! I have tried to switch over two minor system caches (memory
    > policies) to use simple slab and it seems to work. We probably have some
    > way to go before we could do performance tests.

    There's probably enough here to shim in a regular slab and kmalloc
    interface layer to run a desktop machine.

    > The Simple Slab is not NUMA capable at this point and I think the
    > NUMAness may better be implemented in a different way. Maybe we
    > could understand the Simple Slab as a lower layer and then add all
    > the bells and whistles including NUMAness, proc API, kmalloc caches
    > etc. on top as a management layer for this lower level
    > functionality.

    I think a layered approach to handling NUMA and the like makes an
    awful lot of sense here. And probably greatly simplifies locking, etc.

    Also, I like that you've gone to off-slab accounting. Not only does
    this simplify things overall, it's good for memory footprint and
    possibly better on cache footprint.

    It's gonna need a better name though..