    SubjectRe: Adrian Bunk is now taking over the 2.6.16-stable branch
    Greg KH schrieb:
    > On Thu, Aug 10, 2006 at 12:00:49AM +0200, Adrian Bunk wrote:
    >> On Wed, Aug 09, 2006 at 05:45:53PM -0400, Chuck Ebbert wrote:
    >>> Umm, is there some place we can check to see what you've applied?
    >> git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/stable/linux-2.6.16.y.git
    >
    > No, I would not use the main git tree to queue patches up. What happens
    > when you want to rip the middle one out because in review it turns out
    > that it is incorrect?

    You can have multiple branches in one git repository. E.g. git's own
    repository has a "master" branch containing all committed changes, a
    "next" branch which is similar to a release candidate and is regularly
    merged back into "master" if ready, and a "pu" branch which contains the
    more experimental stuff. The latter doesn't even have a continuous history.

    And it has other branches containing different stuff, e.g. "man" is a
    special branch containing the generated manpages. You could also have
    topic branches or one branch per submitter, or whatever.

    > Please use a quilt tree of patches instead, and then only commit the
    > patches when you do a release. It's much simpler that way.

    There's even a quilt clone based on git (http://www.procode.org/stgit/).
    I have never used it, though, so I can't comment on it.

    That said, it's a good idea to keep the master branch continuous, i.e.
    never delete it or reset it to some previous commit. So, as you
    suggest, have a staging area for patches and only commit the good ones
    to your master branch. You can use a branch in the same repo as staging
    area, though.

    You can do quite a lot of different things with just one git repository.
    :-D

    René