    SubjectRe: [Alsa-user] another in kernel alsa update that breaks backward compatibilty?
    On Wed, Aug 09, 2006 at 07:17:48PM +0300, Sergei Steshenko wrote:
    > On Wed, 9 Aug 2006 18:00:43 +0200
    > Sam Ravnborg <sam@ravnborg.org> wrote:

    > > > sorry for the noise, but it's been a while now since i began reading
    > > > mails from this list, and i must admit i don't always (never?) see the
    > > > point of such messages...
    > > > if you can help me understand, i'll be very happy to get something more
    > > > detailed from you...
    > > Documentation/stable_api_nonsense.txt
    > >
    > > Sam
    > >

    > I love senselessness and technical incompetence of the document.
    >
    > As I was taught at school, to prove that a statement is wrong one
    > has to prove that it is wrong once.
    >
    > Regardless of what the document says stable ABI can be achieved
    > today - run a chosen Linux kernel version + chosen ALSA version under XEN or
    > similar, and assign sound card to these (chosen Linux kernel version +
    > chosen ALSA version).
    Your focus is on user<->kernel API. The document is about kernel
    internal API. Thats two different things and it was not clear if the
    first poster was pointing at one or the other.

    user<->kernel API is supposed to be stable - if ALSA breaks that then
    ALSA has something to fix.

    Sam

      Last update: 2006-08-09 18:37    [W:0.033 / U:33.236 seconds]