    SubjectRe: [RFC] ELF Relocatable x86 and x86_64 bzImages
    On 8/8/06, H. Peter Anvin <hpa@zytor.com> wrote:
    > Horms wrote:
    > >
    > > I also agree that it is non-intitive. But I wonder if a cleaner
    > > fix would be to remove CONFIG_PHYSICAL_START all together. Isn't
    > > it just a work around for the kernel not being relocatable, or
    > > are there uses for it that relocation can't replace?
    > >

    > Yes, booting with the 2^n existing bootloaders.
    >
    > Relocation, as far as I've understood this patch, refers to loaded
    > address, not runtime address.

    I believe Erics patch implements the following (correct me if I'm wrong):

    vmlinux:
    vmlinux is extended to contain relocation information. Absolute
    symbols are used for non-relocatable symbols, and section-relative
    symbols are used for relocatable symbols.

    bzImage loader:
    The bzImage loader code is no longer required to be loaded at a fixed
    address. The bzImage file contains vmlinux relocation information and
    the bzImage loader adjusts the relocations in vmlinux before executing
    it.

    So I would say that the runtime address of symbols in vmlinux are
    changed by the bzImage loader. Or maybe I'm misunderstanding?

    / magnus

      Last update: 2006-08-08 06:59    [W:0.022 / U:91.996 seconds]