SubjectRe: [RFC] ELF Relocatable x86 and x86_64 bzImages
On 8/8/06, H. Peter Anvin <> wrote:
> Horms wrote:
> >
> > I also agree that it is non-intitive. But I wonder if a cleaner
> > fix would be to remove CONFIG_PHYSICAL_START all together. Isn't
> > it just a work around for the kernel not being relocatable, or
> > are there uses for it that relocation can't replace?
> >
> Yes, booting with the 2^n existing bootloaders.
> Relocation, as far as I've understood this patch, refers to loaded
> address, not runtime address.

I believe Erics patch implements the following (correct me if I'm wrong):

vmlinux is extended to contain relocation information. Absolute
symbols are used for non-relocatable symbols, and section-relative
symbols are used for relocatable symbols.

bzImage loader:
The bzImage loader code is no longer required to be loaded at a fixed
address. The bzImage file contains vmlinux relocation information and
the bzImage loader adjusts the relocations in vmlinux before executing

So I would say that the runtime address of symbols in vmlinux are
changed by the bzImage loader. Or maybe I'm misunderstanding?

/ magnus

  Last update: 2006-08-08 06:59    [W:0.104 / U:0.120 seconds]