    SubjectRe: swsusp and suspend2 like to overheat my laptop
    Hi!

    > A few months ago, I installed suspend2 on my laptop. It worked great for
    > a few days, when suddenly my laptop started to get very hot and the fan
    > costantly went off, and then I started getting these:

    I take it as "if I keep it for a week powered off, it will not do
    this".

    > ---
    > Message from syslogd@localhost at Tue Aug 8 16:08:53 2006 ...
    > localhost kernel: CPU0: Temperature above threshold
    >
    > Message from syslogd@localhost at Tue Aug 8 16:08:53 2006 ...
    > localhost kernel: CPU1: Temperature above threshold
    >

    > Message from syslogd@localhost at Tue Aug 8 16:08:53 2006 ...
    > localhost kernel: CPU0: Running in modulated clock mode
    >
    > Message from syslogd@localhost at Tue Aug 8 16:08:53 2006 ...
    > localhost kernel: CPU1: Running in modulated clock mode
    > ---

    P4 has thermal protection, so you are actually safe.

    Nigel is right, this is acpi problem, but I guess we can help it. Do
    you have /proc/acpi/fan? Do you have /proc/acpi/ibm/fan? Can you try
    playing with them?

    And yes, this should go into bugzilla.kernel.org.

    > Recently, I've decided to try out swsusp. Well, it has been working fine
    > for almost a week now. But unfortunately, I just started to have my fan
    > go off constantly, and I'm getting the above messages again (hence why
    > the date on the messages is today). Checking out the temp, it's going into
    > the high 70C. That's not too bad, but it only happens when suspending
    > every night instead of shutting down.

    Pavel