SubjectRe: swsusp and suspend2 like to overheat my laptop
Date
Hi Steven.

On Wednesday 09 August 2006 07:40, Steven Rostedt wrote:
> A few months ago, I installed suspend2 on my laptop. It worked great for
> a few days, when suddenly my laptop started to get very hot and the fan
> costantly went off, and then I started getting these:
>
> ---
> Message from syslogd@localhost at Tue Aug 8 16:08:53 2006 ...
> localhost kernel: CPU0: Temperature above threshold
>
> Message from syslogd@localhost at Tue Aug 8 16:08:53 2006 ...
> localhost kernel: CPU1: Temperature above threshold
>

> Message from syslogd@localhost at Tue Aug 8 16:08:53 2006 ...
> localhost kernel: CPU0: Running in modulated clock mode
>
> Message from syslogd@localhost at Tue Aug 8 16:08:53 2006 ...
> localhost kernel: CPU1: Running in modulated clock mode
> ---
>
> I even posted once since I thought I found the problem, but I was wrong.
> So I decided to remove Suspend2 and go back to the normal kernel.
>
> Recently, I've decided to try out swsusp. Well, it has been working fine
> for almost a week now. But unfortunately, I just started to have my fan
> go off constantly, and I'm getting the above messages again (hence why
> the date on the messages is today). Checking out the temp, it's going into
> the high 70C. That's not too bad, but it only happens when suspending
> every night instead of shutting down.
>
> This is a Thinkpad G41, with a P4HT and this is a unmodified 2.6.18-rc2
> kernel. I guess I'll have to start shutting down again, and only suspend
> every so often. But just thought I'd let the people of knowledge know.

The problem will be ACPI related, not particular to swsusp or Suspend2, which
is why you're seeing it with both implementations. I would suggest that you
contact the ACPI guys, and also look to see whether there is a bios update
available and/or a DSDT override for your machine. The later will help if the
problem is with your particular machine's ACPI support, the former if it's a
more general ACPI issue.

Regards,

Nigel
--
See http://www.suspend2.net for Howtos, FAQs, mailing
lists, wiki and bugzilla info.

  Last update: 2006-08-08 23:57    [W:0.135 / U:25.984 seconds]