SubjectRe: [KJ] [patch] fix common mistake in polling loops

> >> Well, whoever wrote thi has some serious problems (in attitude
> >> department). *Any* loop you design may take half a minute under
> >> streange circumstances.
> 6.
> common mistake in polling loops [from Linus]:

Yes, Linus was wrong here. Or more precisely, he's right original code
is broken, but his suggested "fix" is worse than the original.

unsigned long timeout = jiffies + HZ/2;
for (;;) {
if (ready())
return 0;
if (time_after(timeout, jiffies))

> >Actually it may be broken, depending on use. In some cases this loop
> >may want to poll the hardware 50 times, 10msec appart... and your loop
> >can poll it only once in extreme conditions.
> >
> >Actually your loop is totally broken, and may poll only once (without
> >any delay) and then directly timeout :-P -- that will break _any_
> >user.
> The Idea is that we are checking some event in external hardware that
> we know will complete in a given time (This time is not dependant on
> system activity but is fixed). After that time if the event has not
> happened we know something has borked.

But you have to make sure YOU CHECK READY AFTER THE TIMEOUT. Linus'
code does not do that.
(cesky, pictures)

  Last update: 2006-08-08 01:37    [W:0.100 / U:3.060 seconds]