SubjectRe: the " 'official' point of view" expressed by kernelnewbies.org regarding reiser4 inclusion
Hans Reiser wrote:
> Edward Shishkin wrote:
>

>>>How about we switch to ecc, which would help with bit rot not sector
>>>loss?
>>

>>Interesting aspect.
>>
>>Yes, we can implement ECC as a special crypto transform that inflates
>>data. As I mentioned earlier, it is possible via translation of key
>>offsets with scale factor > 1.
>>
>>Of course, it is better then nothing, but anyway meta-data remains
>>ecc-unprotected, and, hence, robustness is not increased..
>>
>>Edward.
>

> Would you prefer to do it as a node layout plugin instead, so as to get
> the metadata?

Yes, it looks like a business of node plugin, but AFAIK, you
objected against such checks: currently only bitmap nodes have
a protection (checksum); supporting ecc-signatures is more
space/cpu expensive.

Edward.

  Last update: 2006-08-07 00:25    [W:0.190 / U:0.752 seconds]