    SubjectRe: [patch 2/8] Implement always-locked bit ops, for memory shared with an SMP hypervisor.
    On Thu, 3 Aug 2006, Andi Kleen wrote:

    > > Thats a good goal but what about the rest of us who have to maintain
    > > additional forms of bit operations for all architectures. How much is this
    > > burden?
    >
    > I don't think it's that big an issue because most architectures either
    > use always locked bitops already or don't need them because they don't do
    > SMP.

    Those architectures that always use locked bitops or dont need them would
    not need to be modified if we put this in a special fail. I think this is
    a i386 speciality here?

    Those operations are only needed for special xen driver and not for
    regular kernel code!

    > So it will be fine with just a asm-generic header that defines them
    > to the normal bitops. Not much burden.

    asm-generic/xen-bitops.h asm-i386/xen-bitops.h is even less of a burden
    and would only require a

    #include <asm/xen-bitops.h>

    for those special xen drivers.

      Last update: 2006-08-03 06:31    [W:0.045 / U:0.172 seconds]