    SubjectRe: Reiser4 und LZO compression
    On Sun, 27 August 2006 01:04:28 -0700, Andrew Morton wrote:

    > Like lib/inflate.c (and this new code should arguably be in lib/).
    >
    > The problem is that if we clean this up, we've diverged very much from the
    > upstream implementation. So taking in fixes and features from upstream
    > becomes harder and more error-prone.

    I've had an identical argument with Linus about lib/zlib_*. He
    decided that he didn't care about diverging, I went ahead and changed
    the code. In the process, I merged a couple of outstanding bugfixes
    and reduced memory consumption by 25%. Looks like Linus was right on
    that one.

    > I'd suspect that the maturity of these utilities is such that we could
    > afford to turn them into kernel code in the expectation that any future
    > changes will be small. But it's not a completely simple call.
    >
    > (iirc the inflate code had a buffer overrun a while back, which was found
    > and fixed in the upstream version).

    Dito in lib/zlib_*. lib/inflage.c is only used for the various
    in-kernel bootloaders to uncompress a kernel image. Anyone tampering
    with the image to cause a buffer overrun already owns the machine
    anyway.

    Whether any of our experiences with zlib apply to lzo remains a
    question, though.

    Jörn

    --
    I've never met a human being who would want to read 17,000 pages of
    documentation, and if there was, I'd kill him to get him out of the