SubjectRe: SATA 150 vs SATA 300
Marc Perkel wrote:
> Another speed related question. How much faster are SATA II drives
> compared to regular SATA drives in real life? And - does NCQ really
> help? I'm just looking for a general guess in the form of, "The Disk IO
> upgrading to SATA II with NCQ will generally be X% faster." What value
> is X?

SATA 150 and SATA 300 refers to interface speed (1.5Gbps or 3Gbps).
Unless its entirely flash-based or RAM-based, it is highly unlikely that
your disk max out the SATA cable bandwidth.

There is "SATA II is x times faster" rule, because it depends on the
drive mechanics inside. A SATA II drive may be exactly the same speed
as SATA I, except that it is upgraded to support NCQ and other SATA II
features.

NCQ definitely helps.

Jeff

  Last update: 2006-08-25 04:39    [W:0.522 / U:0.024 seconds]