    SubjectRE: Generic Disk Driver in Linux

    --- Arjan van de Ven <arjan@infradead.org> wrote:

    > On Thu, 2006-08-24 at 11:19 -0700, Aleksey Gorelov wrote:
    > > >From: linux-kernel-owner@vger.kernel.org
    > > >[mailto:linux-kernel-owner@vger.kernel.org] On Behalf Of Jan Engelhardt

    > > >ide_generic
    > > >sd_mod
    > > >
    > > >All there, what more do you want?
    > >
    > > Unfortunately, not _all_. DMRAID does not support all fake raids yet.
    >
    > Hi,
    >
    > it'll be easier and quicker to rev engineer 5 more formats than it will
    > be to get the bios thing working ;) And the performance of the bios
    probably true - I'm actually not great fan of originally proposed approach. But,
    unfortunately, manufactures and vendors still look more to MS. Until market
    situation changes, there is always a gap...

    > thing will be really really bad... (hint: real mode can access only 1Mb
    > of memory, so you will bounce buffer all IO's)
    This is true for non-dma case only. As I already mentioned before, most BIOSes
    support dma, and there is no 1Mb limit for that (at least on modern hw).

    Aleks.

    > Greetings,
    > Arjan van de Ven

      Last update: 2006-08-24 21:43    [W:0.023 / U:0.124 seconds]