SubjectRe: [patch 4/5] fail-injection capability for disk IO
On Wed, Aug 23 2006, Ric Wheeler wrote:
> Jens Axboe wrote:
> >On Wed, Aug 23 2006, Andrew Morton wrote:

> >>We need it. What is the FS/VFS/VM behaviour in the presence of IO
> >>errors? Nobody knows, because we rarely test it. Those few times where
> >>people _do_ test it (the hard way), bad things tend to happen. reiserfs
> >>(for example) likes to go wobble, wobble, wobble, BUG.
> >

> >You misunderstood me - a global parameter is useless, as it makes it
> >pretty impossible for people to use this for any sort of testing (unless
> >it's very specialized). I didn't say a feature to test io errors was
> >useless!

> >>Yes, I think so. /sys/block/sda/sda2/make-it-fail.
> >

> >Precisely.
> >

> I think that this is very useful for testing file systems.
>
> What this will miss is the error path through the lower levels of the IO
> path (i.e., the libata/SCSI error handling confusion that Mark Lord has
> been working on patches for would need some error injection at or below
> the libata level).
>
> We currently test this whole path with either weird fault injection gear
> to hit the s-ata bus or the old fashion pile of moderately flaky disks
> that we try hard not to fix or totally kill.
>
> It would be really useful to get something (target mode SW disk? libata
> or other low level error injection?) to test this whole path in software...

Yes, this approach only tests the layer(s) above the device. To simulate
hardware failure or timeouts, I _think_ scsi_debug can already help you
quite a bit. If not, it should be easy enough to extend do add these
sorts of things.

--
Jens Axboe