    SubjectRe: mplayer + heavy io: why ionice doesn't help?
    Date
    On Sunday 20 August 2006 16:43, Lee Revell wrote:
    > On Sun, 2006-08-20 at 10:22 +0200, Jan Engelhardt wrote:
    > > >
    > > >It helps. mplayer skips much less, but still some skipping is present.
    > >
    > > Try with -ao alsa, then it should skip less, or at least, if it skip, skip
    > > back so that less audio is lost.
    > > When playing audio-only files, it is always wise to specify e.g. -cache 320
    > > which proved to be a good value for my workloads.
    > >

    > Only with the very latest versions of mplayer does ALSA work at all.
    > It's unusable here because it resets the auduio stream on each underrun
    > rather than simply ignoring them.

    I'm not sure that I ever got an underrun (may check it
    for you if you need that, how to do it?),
    but mplayer -ao alsa is working for me just fine.

    I eliminated skips due to CPU and disk using
    nice and -cache 8000. I still can make it skip
    when my KDE background picture is changing.

    I think that these skips are caused by the X server.
    It has no prioritization for request handling and
    thus it does not paint mplayer output fast enough:
    it needs to repaint background and semi-transparent
    konsole(s), and that is taking a few seconds at least.

    This is probably aggravated by serializing nature of Xlib,
    according to:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XLib
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XCB
    --