    SubjectRe: Solaris ZFS on Linux
    Krzysztof Halasa wrote:
    > Kyle Moffett <> writes:
    >>IMHO the best alternative for a situation like that is a storage
    >>controller with a battery-backed cache and a hunk of flash NVRAM for
    >>when the power shuts off (just in case you run out of battery), as
    >>well as a separate 1GB battery-backed PCI ramdisk for an external
    >>journal device (likewise equipped with flash NVRAM). It doesn't take

    > Not sure - reading flash is fast, but writing is quite slow.
    > A digital camera can consume a set of 2 or 4 2500 mAh AA cells
    > for a fraction of 1 GB (of course, only a part of power goes
    > to flash).

    Yeah - that's why I said in the original message that it's not
    especially lower in energy - the energy is used at a lower rate,
    so is much cheaper to supply.
    's datasheet says to program the 32Mbyte chip takes about 30mw*120s, or
    3.5J or so.
    For a gigabyte, that's 100J - a fairly substantial amount of energy.
    However - it's at a low rate, so it's not _too_ expensive to supply.

      Last update: 2006-08-02 20:17    [W:0.022 / U:140.488 seconds]