    SubjectRe: /dev/sd*
    Jan Engelhardt wrote:

    >>> Yep. /dev/disk is a long term goal :)
    >>>

    >> I agree with Adrian, users are going to get confused if their devices
    >> are named something different once they switch to this new interface. So
    >> if we're going to confusing them why not just take the big leap and
    >> switch it over to /dev/disk? It seems to make more sense then to have
    >> all IDE and SATA users use /dev/sda for awhile only to down the road
    >> have to to switch to /dev/disk.
    >>

    > In the process, we can rename the then-"generic disk" (scsi ide whatever)
    > back to "hd*" since that actually expands to Hard Disk.
    > (If I would have known a lot earlier about Linux I would have proposed
    > "id*" for the IDE disks.)
    >

    > Jan Engelhardt

    Actually that does make more sense then using disk. So I guess we're
    back to square one. Personally I don't think its that big of a deal, all
    you have to do is change fstab and grub or lilo. My main concern is for
    the less advanced Linux users.

      Last update: 2006-08-17 10:33    [W:2.555 / U:0.720 seconds]