    SubjectRe: [MODSLAB 0/7] A modular slab allocator V1
    On Wed, 16 Aug 2006, Andi Kleen wrote:

    > What other ones do we have?

    vmalloc and the page allocators you derive from others using the
    framework.

    > > 1. shrink_slab takes a function to move object. Using that
    > > function slabs can be defragmented to ease slab reclaim.
    >
    > Does that help with the inefficient dcache/icache pruning?

    It will fix that if the dcache/icache would provide a move object
    function.

    > > - No support for pagese
    >
    > What does that mean?

    That was just clutter. Sorry.

    > > Performance tests with AIM7 on an 8p Itanium machine (4 NUMA nodes)
    > > (Memory spreading active which means that we do not take advantage of NUMA locality
    > > in favor of load balancing)
    >
    > Hmm, i'm not sure how allocator intensive AIM7 is. I guess networking
    > would be a good test because it is very sensitive to allocator performance.
    > Perhaps also check with the routing people on netdev -- they seem to be able
    > to stress the allocator very much.

    Yeah, well I think the implementations could be much more sophisticated
    and one should do better tests but I am not sure how much time I can spend
    on them.

      Last update: 2006-08-16 17:09    [W:0.021 / U:59.836 seconds]