SubjectRe: 2.6.18-rc3-git3 - XFS - BUG: unable to handle kernel NULL pointer dereference at virtual address 00000078
On 15/08/06, Nathan Scott <nathans@sgi.com> wrote:

> > > Ooh. Can you describe this test case you're using?
> > These filesystems vary in size from 50G to 3.5T
> >
> > The XFS filesystems contain rsync copies of filesystems on as many servers.
> > The workload that triggers the problem is when all the servers start
> > updating their copy via rsync - Then within a few hours the problem
> > triggers.
> >
> > So to recreate the same scenario you'll want 28 servers doing rsync of
> > filesystems of various sizes between 50G & 3.5T to a central server
> > running 2.6.18-rc4 with 28 XFS filesystems.
> > There are millions of files. The data the server recievs is copies of
> > websites. Each server that sends data to the server with the 28 XFS
> > filesystems hosts between 1800 and 2600 websites, so there are lots of
> > files and every concievable strange filename.
>
> Wow, a special kind of hell for a filesystem developer...! ;-)
>
> Its not clear to me where the rename operation happens in all of
> this - does rsync create a local, temporary copy of the file and
> then rename it?

I'm not sure. I'll investigate and see if I can work out what exactely
rsync does.

> Is it that central server going down or one of
> those 28 other server machines? (I assume it is, I can't see an
> opportunity for renaming out there...).

It's the central server with all the xfs filesystems that dies. The
one recieving all the rsync data.

> When you hit it again, could you grab the contents of the inode
> (you'll get that from xfs_repair -n, e.g. 412035424 above) with
> xfs_db (see last entry in the XFS FAQ which describes how to do
> that), then mail that to me please?

Sure, I'll read up on that and make sure to grab that info next time.

> If you can get the source
> and target names in the rename that'll help alot too... I can
> explain how to use KDB to get that, but maybe you have another
> debugger handy already?

An explanation of how exactely to do that would be greatly appreciated.

--
Jesper Juhl <jesper.juhl@gmail.com>