    SubjectRe: What's in kbuild.git for 2.6.19
    On Mon, Aug 14, 2006 at 12:02:09AM -0700, Keith Owens wrote:
    >Sam Ravnborg (on Sun, 13 Aug 2006 21:45:03 +0200) wrote:
    >>Outstanding kbuild issues (I should fix a few of these for 2.6.18):
    >>o make -j N is not as parallel as expected (latest report from Keith
    >> Ownens but others has complained as well). I assume it is a kbuild
    >> thing but has no clue how to fix it or debug it further.
    >It is the make jobserver code. make -j<n> causes the various make
    >tasks to communicate and work out how many versions are currently
    >running, to avoid overrunning the -j<n> value. Every recursive
    >invocation of make subtracts one from the -j value, reducing the value
    >that is left when make finally get down to doing some useful work
    >instead of just recursing. Jobserver problems are yet another reason
    >why recursive make is bad.
    >kbuild is full of recursive make. The user cannot just add an excess
    >to <n>, the number of recursive invocations changes from kernel to
    >kernel as people try to fix bugs in makefile generation, so the
    >required excess value keeps changing.

    The jobserver in make 3.80 is buggy. 3.80 appears to work for parallel
    builds using a single Makefile, with recursive make it can lose
    jobserver tokens. make 3.81 works fine. Now to persuade SuSE to
    upgrade to make 3.81.

      Last update: 2006-08-15 08:29    [W:0.020 / U:10.984 seconds]