    SubjectRe: Touchpad problems with latest kernels
    On Mon, Aug 14, 2006 at 10:38:04AM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
    > I don't *think* I'm a lunatic, but I'm equally sure that the synaptics is a
    > pain in the ass and should be capable of being totally disabled somehow,
    > hopefully short of opening the lappy up and unplugging or cutting every
    > lead to it until such time as it can be made to behave instead of
    > responding to every thumb waved 1/2 to 3/4" above it. I've gotten hand
    > cramps trying to hold my thumbs far enough away from that abomination to
    > stop such goings on.
    >
    > So count this as a vote FOR doing something about the synaptics touchpad
    > situation.

    I'm seeing issues as well on my Dell Inspiron 8000 (yes, it has a Synaptics,
    NOT ALPS as usual on Inspiron):

    (without a mouse plugged in) after random times the pointer exhibits
    clear signs of craziness, moving on its own (mild issue) or jumping
    uncontrollably (worse) or being completely off-screen most of the time
    (worst).

    IIRC (I'm quite sure about this) the very first time that I've seen
    this phenomenon happen on my notebook was around 2.6.9,
    and I attributed this to broken/grown-old hardware on my notebook
    (thus from then on mostly running with external mouse attached),
    but since several people now report very similar issues
    one would think that it's a driver calibration or touchpad setup issue
    instead of actually broken touchpad hardware.

    Plus, I'm sometimes having issues with pointer movement (cursor won't advance
    any more unless I stop touching the touchpad for a few seconds to let it
    reset somehow - probably a bytestream hickup issue).

    Any clues?

    Andreas Mohr

      Last update: 2006-08-14 17:23    [W:0.041 / U:120.536 seconds]