SubjectRe: linux-2.4.33 released
Date
On Sat, 12 Aug 2006 06:04:41 +0200, Willy Tarreau <w@1wt.eu> wrote:

>On Sat, Aug 12, 2006 at 12:18:23PM +1000, Grant Coady wrote:
>> On Fri, 11 Aug 2006 21:09:23 +0200, Willy Tarreau <w@1wt.eu> wrote:

>> >This has already the case with the hotfix tree since 18 months or so. A
>> >hotfix release is issued when there are important fixes. Anyway, I was
>> >thinking about releasing pre-releases more often. Also, you might have
>> >noticed that the slowdown is more important during -rc for obvious reasons.
>>
>> >To solve this problem, I intend to maintain a 'next' branch in the tree
>> >which will contain the fixes that can wait for next version. It should
>> >help us batch the fixes and reduce the latency between important fixes
>> >and the associated release.
>>
>> Perhaps time to follow the 2.6.nn-stable naming scheme? Since you're in
>> the driver's seat now? This may be less confusing to 2.4 series users.
>
>The difference is that I provide hotfixes for older versions too, and if
>you remember, initially all versions got a different suffix, which was

Yup, remembered that after I posted, 'tis only a name, after all

>really confusing. Now at least they all get the same one. Or perhaps I
>should use the 4 digit for the last version and something derived from
>it for older versions, I'll have to think about it.

Perhaps a bad idea after all, current users know where to get hotfix.

>> You'd have an idea how popular your hotfix project has been from your
>> server download stats? I've mostly run hotfix-latest on firewall 24/7
>> since you started the project.
>
>It varies depending on the fixes. For instance, on hf32.6, I got 737
>downloads: 69% for the latest version (2.4.32), 10% for 2.4.29, 8% for
>2.4.30, 7% for 2.4.31, and 6% for 2.4.28.

> But it's hard to tell how
>many systems run those patches, because some people might download
>them just for curiosity, and others download them once an apply them
>on a hundred of machines.

Only another half dozen here, but yes some unknown multiplier may
swamp the curious.

> From the feedback I got, people often use
>the latest hotfix as the first patch for their own kernels (and I do
>the same) so that they know they're up to date, and can add the
>features they need.

I try convince people to do that ;)

>Also, many people know that 2.4 is stable enough that most often,
>any pre-release can be used as a hotfix.

Yup.

Grant.

  Last update: 2006-08-12 09:11    [W:0.058 / U:0.108 seconds]