SubjectRe: [Patch] restore the RCU callback to defer put_task_struct() Re: Problems with 2.6.17-rt8

On Thu, 10 Aug 2006, Bill Huey wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 09, 2006 at 07:18:35PM -0700, Bill Huey wrote:
>> On Thu, Aug 10, 2006 at 12:05:57AM +0200, Esben Nielsen wrote:
>>> I had a long discussion with Paul McKenney about this. I opposed the patch
>>> from a latency point of view: Suddenly a high-priority RT task could be
>>> made into releasing a task_struct. It would be better for latencies to
>>> defer it to a low priority task.
>>>
>>> The conclusion we ended up with was that it is not a job for the RCU
>>> system, but it ought to be deferred to some other low priority task to
>>> free the task_struct.
>>
>> I agree. It's just hack to get it not to crash at this time. It really
>> should be done in another facility or utilizing another threading context.
>
> Esben and company,
>
> This is the second round of getting rid of the locking problems with free_task()
>
> This extends the mmdrop logic with desched_thread() to also handle free_task()
> requests as well. I believe this address your concerns and I'm open to review
> of this patch.
>
> Patch included:
>
> bill

Without applying the patch and only skimming it it looks like what Paul
and I concluded :-)

But is there really no generic way of defering this kind of thing? It
looks like a hell of a lot work where a kind of "message" infrastructure
could have solved it in a few lines.

Esben

  Last update: 2006-08-11 10:21    [W:0.081 / U:0.788 seconds]