    SubjectRe: [patch 6/6] Move per-device data out of backlight_properties
    On Fri, 2006-08-11 at 01:03 -0400, Dmitry Torokhov wrote:
    > plain text document attachment (backlight-move-data.patch)
    > Backlight: move per-device data out of backlight_properties
    >
    > Data such as current brightness belongs to a device and should not
    > be part of a structure shared between several devices.

    I agree there's an issue to address here. Looking at this patch very
    quickly, it breaks all the existing backlight drivers as they know about
    the variables in struct backlight_properties and all their references
    need to be updated e.g.: corgi_bl.c:

    if (bd->props->power != FB_BLANK_UNBLANK)
    intensity = 0;
    if (bd->props->fb_blank != FB_BLANK_UNBLANK)
    intensity = 0;

    Thinking about this, ideally, struct backlight_properties would be left
    containing the backlight properties in but become part of struct
    backlight_device (and allocated with it). The drivers would provide a
    new struct backlight_ops instead of the properties struct at present and
    the function pointers would move to that structure.

    Your other patches looked ok at a quick glance. I'll aim to test them
    against the corgi driver over the weekend and I look at reworking this
    one, unless you want beat me to it :)

    Cheers,

    Richard

      Last update: 2006-08-11 10:05    [W:0.024 / U:121.592 seconds]