    SubjectRe: Merging libata PATA support into the base kernel
    In gmane.linux.kernel, you wrote:
    > You make it sound much worse than it is. Apart for HPA, I'm not aware of
    > any setups that require extra treatment. And the amount of reported bugs
    > against it are pretty close to zero :-)

    *ahem*.

    I needed to do this to cure IDE hangs on resume:

    ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/akpm/patches/2.6/2.6.18-rc3/2.6.18-rc3-mm2/broken-out/ide-reprogram-disk-pio-timings-on-resume.patch

    Are you watching the suspend mailing lists? There's no shortage of them:

    suspend-devel: http://dir.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel.suspend.devel
    linux-pm: http://dir.gmane.org/gmane.linux.power-management.general
    suspend2-devel: http://dir.gmane.org/gmane.linux.swsusp.devel
    suspend2-users: http://dir.gmane.org/gmane.linux.swsusp.general

    I'm currently trying to help out one Sheer El-Showk, whose piix ide
    requires 30 seconds of floundering followed by a bus reset to resume:

    http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel.suspend.devel/276/focus=347

    But I know next-to-nothing about ATA.

    It's not surprising you're not getting many bug reports. It's common for
    several things to go wrong during s2ram, and the user often ends up
    looking at a hung system with a dead screen. It takes some quality time
    with netconsole to even begin to narrow down that it's IDE hanging the
    system, after which you can *begin* solving the no-video-on-resume
    issue.

    Jason

      Last update: 2006-08-10 21:05    [W:0.022 / U:90.244 seconds]