SubjectRe: Merging libata PATA support into the base kernel
In gmane.linux.kernel, you wrote:
> You make it sound much worse than it is. Apart for HPA, I'm not aware of
> any setups that require extra treatment. And the amount of reported bugs
> against it are pretty close to zero :-)

*ahem*.

I needed to do this to cure IDE hangs on resume:

ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/akpm/patches/2.6/2.6.18-rc3/2.6.18-rc3-mm2/broken-out/ide-reprogram-disk-pio-timings-on-resume.patch

Are you watching the suspend mailing lists? There's no shortage of them:

suspend-devel: http://dir.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel.suspend.devel
linux-pm: http://dir.gmane.org/gmane.linux.power-management.general
suspend2-devel: http://dir.gmane.org/gmane.linux.swsusp.devel
suspend2-users: http://dir.gmane.org/gmane.linux.swsusp.general

I'm currently trying to help out one Sheer El-Showk, whose piix ide
requires 30 seconds of floundering followed by a bus reset to resume:

http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel.suspend.devel/276/focus=347

But I know next-to-nothing about ATA.

It's not surprising you're not getting many bug reports. It's common for
several things to go wrong during s2ram, and the user often ends up
looking at a hung system with a dead screen. It takes some quality time
with netconsole to even begin to narrow down that it's IDE hanging the
system, after which you can *begin* solving the no-video-on-resume
issue.

Jason

©2003-2011 Jasper Spaans