SubjectRe: Opinions on removing /proc/tty?
On Sat, 8 Jul 2006 01:56:02 -0400 Jon Smirl wrote:

> On 7/8/06, Randy.Dunlap <rdunlap@xenotime.net> wrote:
> > I don't know how well this is an answer to your question,
> > but I would like to be able to find a list of registered "consoles,"
> > whether they be serial, usbserial, netconsole, lp, or whatever.
> > /proc/tty/drivers does that partially.
>
> Console is an overloaded word. Do you want to know where it is legal
> to send system log output to, or do you want to know where you can log
> in from? There was a thread earlier that talked a little about
> controlling this.

I have a working definition:
I want to see a list of drivers that have called register_console().

> > I have a patch that also does it in /proc/consoles:
> > http://www.xenotime.net/linux/patches/consoles-list.patch
> > Is somewhere in /sys the right place to find a list of all consoles?
>
> /sys is the right place for this info but a class does not exist for it yet.

I want a list of registered consoles. How would I express that in /sys ?

> Your patch isn't printing correctly. It is supposed to write the
> output to seq_file, not use printk.

Pray tell where does it call printk()?

> I get one entry on my system:
> 0: tty x:W:U flags: print consoledev enabled
>
> I would have thought that I would see entries for network, serial, and
> syslog too.

Yes for network and serial or usbserial. I wouldn't expect syslog
(based on my working definition).

---
~Randy

  Last update: 2006-07-09 07:03    [W:2.235 / U:0.060 seconds]