    SubjectRe: Magic Alt-SysRq change in 2.6.18-rc1
    Alan Stern wrote:
    > Dmitry:
    > Are you the right person to handle changes in the behavior of Alt-SysRq?
    > Before 2.6.18-rc1, I used to be able to use it as follows:
    > Press and hold an Alt key,
    > Press and hold the SysRq key,
    > Release the Alt key,
    > Press and release some hot key like S or T or 7,
    > Repeat the previous step as many times as desired,
    > Release the SysRq key.
    > This scheme doesn't work any more, or if it does, the timing requirements
    > are now much stricter. In practice I have to hold down all three keys at
    > the same time; I can't release the Alt key before pressing the hot key.
    > This makes thinks very awkward on my laptop machine. Its keyboard
    > controller doesn't seem to like having three keys pressed simultaneously.
    > Instead of the expected hotkey behavior, I usually got an error message
    > from atkbd warning about too many keys being pressed. Getting it to work
    > as desired is hit-and-miss.
    > I would really appreciate going back to the old behavior, where only two
    > keys needed to be held down at any time.

    Looks like the current keyboard code lets you press Alt-SysRq,
    Alt-<letter> without keeping the SysRq key held down, as long as you
    don't release the Alt key.

    That seems a lot more user-friendly to me.

      Last update: 2006-07-10 03:17    [W:0.020 / U:6.768 seconds]