SubjectRe: uswsusp history lesson [was Re: [Suspend2-devel] Re: swsusp / suspend2 reliability]
Hi!

> > I really looked at suspend2 hard, year or so ago, when I was pretty
> > tired of the flamewars. At that point I decided it is way too big to
> > be acceptable to mainline, and got that crazy idea about uswsusp, that
> > surprisingly worked out at the end.
> >
> > uswsusp makes suspend2 obsolete, and suspend2 now looks
> > misdesigned. It puts too much stuff into the kernel, you know that
> > already.
>
> No, I don't. From my point of view, uswsusp is misdesigned, but suspend2
> isn't. Suspend2 keeps the stuff that ought to be done by the kernel in the
> kernel. It doesn't shift data out to userspace, only to copy it straight back
> to the kernel for I/O. It will keep working even if userspace crashes and
> burns.

Copying back and forth is not a problem (3GB/sec RAM bandwidth
vs. 50MB/sec disk bandwidth), and at least we do not have to add LZF
to kernel.

> > From your point of view, uswsusp is misdesigned, too. It is too damn
> > hard to install. There's no way it could survive as a standalone patch
> > -- the way suspend2 survives. Fortunately, from distro point of view,
> > being hard to install does not matter that much. Distros already have
> > their own initrds, etc. And in the long term, distros matter, and I'm
> > quite confident I can make 90% distributions ship uswsusp + its
> > userland; cleaner kernel code matters, too, and maybe you'll agree
> > that if you only look at the kernel parts, uswsusp looks nicer.
>
> It looks simple, I agree. But that's only because it's doing the minimum
> required.

Yes, and that's exactly how kernel design should work.

> > Now... switching to uswsusp kernel parts will make it slightly harder
> > to install in the short term (messing with initrd). OTOH there's at
> > least _chance_ to get to the point where suspend "just works" in
> > Linux, in the long term...
> >
> > (Of course, you can just ignore this and keep maintaining out-of-tree
> > suspend2. We'll also get to the point where it "just works"... it will
> > just take a little longer.)
>
> With your current design, I don't see how you're ever going to get to the
> level of functionality that Suspend2 has. I'm of course thinking of a full
> image of memory (although Rafael's patch a while back looked hopeful there)
> and support for other-than-just-one-swap-partition.

Rafael's code was nice hack, unfortunately noone was able to review
it, so it is on hold. (You'll have similar problems, BTW; that LRU
issues are really "interesting").

other-than-just-one-swap-partition is a weekend task for someone
motivated. (And not even dangerous to your data, given that we can do
checksums.) [Any volunteers? Given ammount of trafic in my inbox,
suspend is still interesting topic.]
Pavel