    SubjectRe: [BUG] sleeping function called from invalid context during resume

    > >Lacking any other caller-passed indication, it would be much better for
    > >acpi to look at irqs_disabled(). That's effectively a task-local,
    > >cpu-local argument which was passed down to callees. It's hacky - it's
    > >like the PF_foo flags. But it's heaps better than having all
    > >the kernel fight over the state of a global.
    > I didn't propose that kmalloc callers peek at system_state.
    > I proposed that system_state be set properly on resume
    > exactly like it is set on boot -- SYSTEM_RUNNING means
    > we are up with interrupts enabled.
    > Note that this issue is not specific to ACPI, any other code
    > that calls kmalloc during resume will hit __might_sleep().
    > This is taken care of by system_state in the case of boot
    > and the callers don't know anything about it -- resume
    > is the same case and should work the same way.

    I'd agree with Andrew here -- lets not mess with system_state. It is
    broken by design, anyway.

    Part of code would prefer SYSTEM_BOOTING during resume (because we are
    initializing the devices), but I'm pretty sure some other piece of
    code will get confused by that.
    (cesky, pictures)

      Last update: 2006-07-08 02:33    [W:0.021 / U:1.872 seconds]