SubjectRe: [Suspend2-devel] Re: swsusp / suspend2 reliability
Pavel Machek wrote:
> Hi!
>

>> Pavel> I do not think suspend2 works on more machines than in-kernel
>> Pavel> swsusp. Problems are in drivers, and drivers are shared.
>>
>> Pavel> That means that if you have machine where suspend2 works and
>> Pavel> swsusp does not, please tell me. I do not think there are many
>> Pavel> of them.
>>
>> Accept the facts -- for some reason, there is a fairly large user base
>> that goes to all the bother of using suspend2, which requires

>> That is a fact, and all the hand waving won't change it.
>>

> Users like suspend2 eye candy => swsusp must be unreliable?

oh, come on. that's a pretty cheap argument. let me tell you i tried
swsusp (admittedly a while ago) couldn't get it to run reliably on
several laptops, went for suspend2 --- and it worked rather well. i
certainly didn't go for suspend2 because of its "eye candy"...

this is not about eye candy, this is about pragmatism: suspend2 seems to
work on a lot more platforms than what is currently in the kernel.
> I know users that installed swsusp, decided they want progress bars,
> and went for suspend2.
>

>> I'm tired of this. It's taking years for Linux to get reasonably working
>> suspend facilities, which is a shame. In my opinion a large part of the
>> problem is you opposing Nigel's patches. Problem is, for many people
>> Nigel's code works while yours does not.
>>

> Nigel only submitted his code once, month or so ago, as series of 200
> or so patches. Do not blame me for _that_.

IIRC correctly he did try earlier and was told to come back when he had
his code subdivided in little pieces.

dirk

--
Dr Dirk Husemann, Pervasive Computing, IBM Research, Zurich Research Lab
hud@zurich.ibm.com --- http://www.zurich.ibm.com/~hud/

Appended to this email is an electronic signature attachment. You can
ignore it if your email program does not know how to verify such a
signature. If you'd like to learn more about this topic, www.gnupg.org
is a good starting point.

  Last update: 2006-07-07 17:07    [W:0.175 / U:1.740 seconds]