    SubjectRe: [patch] spinlocks: remove 'volatile'
    Arjan van de Ven wrote:
    > this is not really what the C standard says.

    ..and now half of LKML scurries to find a copy of the ANSI C specs..

    I'm still browsing a copy here, but so far have only really found this:

    A volatile declaration may be used to describe an object corresponding
    to a memory-mapped input/output port or an object accessed by an
    aysnchronously interrupting function. Actions on objects so declared
    shall not be "optimized out" by an implementation or reordered except
    as permitted by the rules for evaluating expressions.

    Still lots of document left to go through, so I suppose it might
    contradict itself later on.

    And of course this is only a language spec, not Real Life (tm).

      Last update: 2006-07-06 20:19    [W:0.022 / U:13.720 seconds]