SubjectRe: CDROMEJECT (or START_STOP(2)) completely disables USB flash stick

>While working on some HAL issues I hit some not clear - to me at least -
>behavior. I was testing HAL Eject method that under Linux effectively
>calls 'eject /dev/block'. Now for USB stick - at least, that I have, this
>results in "ejecting medium" without apparently any way to get it back (the
>only way is to replug stick).

I suppose eject does the same as `sdparm -C eject`, and yes, it does not
seem like you can reload an USB stick with the opposite of eject, `sdparm
-C load` (at least these are the commands that work for CDROM devices).

>{pts/0}% LC_ALL=C sudo blockdev --rereadpt /dev/sda
>/dev/sda: No medium found
>
>I tried 'sdparm -C start' without much success as well:
>
>{pts/0}% LC_ALL=C sudo sdparm -v -C start /dev/sda
> /dev/sda: 128MB 2.00
> Start stop unit command: 1b 00 00 00 01 00
>{pts/0}% LC_ALL=C sudo blockdev --rereadpt /dev/sda
>/dev/sda: No medium found
>
>Well, I just try to understand if this is a expected (and reasonable)
>behaviour or a bug in hardware or possibly software?

I cannot close the tray of the CDROM drive with -C start (or -C ready), so
I doubt the same will be true for USB sticks.

Maybe all of this is a limitation of USB sticks - I got to check it with
real USB harddisks or hotswap SCA disks.

Jan Engelhardt