SubjectRe: Building the kernel on an SMP box?
Andi Kleen wrote:
> "Brian D. McGrew" <brian@visionpro.com> writes:
>> So, to ask the group that should know the best ... What would be a
>> reasonable configuration to get my builds down under five minutes or so?
>> And then to go to the extreme, what kind of horsepower should I be
>> looking for if I want get the build times down to say a minute or so???
>
> Depending on your build pattern you can likely speed up rebuilds by
> using ccache.
>
> If that doesn't help get one or two (or more as needed) cheap dual
> core systems and use icecream (http://en.opensuse.org/Icecream) to do
> a cluster build and build with -jN (N=2*available cores/threads or so)

That sounds really useful, although I bet it assumes that the build
environment is the same on all machines. Or at least similar. I'll have
to try that, I have two lightly used machines to add to the build. Thanks!

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>
Obscure bug of 2004: BASH BUFFER OVERFLOW - if bash is being run by a