SubjectRe: XFS breakage in 2.6.18-rc1
Hello again,

On Mon, 24 Jul 2006, Nathan Scott wrote:
> filesystem too. See the FAQ entry for a description on how to
> translate inums to paths, and also the repair -n step to detect
> any corruption ondisk.

I had two xfs filesystems and I first noticed that /data/Scratch was
befallen from this bug. I did not care much about this (hence the
name :)) and I wanted to postpone the xfs_db surgery.

Unfortunately I forgot that "/" was also an XFS and it crashed
yesterday. remounting ro helped a bit (so no process attempted to write
on it. however, cp'ing from the ro-mounted xfs sometimes hung,
unkillable), I setup a mini-root somewhere else and followed the
instructions in the FAQ. It did not go too well, lots of
stuff was moved to lost+found, but every subsequent xfs_repair run
found more and more errors. I decided to mkfs the partition and make use
of my backups. my other "scratch" partition is still XFS but mounted ro
and I'll try the xfsprogs fixes Nathan published on this one.

Oh, and I dd'ed the corrupt xfs-filesystem to a file, so I can play
around with this one as well.

If anyone is interested, here are the typescripts from the horrible
xfs_repair runs: http://nerdbynature.de/bits/2.6.18-rc2/log/

cheers,
Christian.
--