    SubjectRe: [patch] slab: always follow arch requested alignments
    On Wed, 26 Jul 2006, Manfred Spraul wrote:

    > There are two different types of alignment:
    > - SLAB_HWCACHE_ALIGN: it's a recommendation, it's regularly ignored.
    > - the align parameter, or ARCH_SLAB_MINALIGN: It's mandatory. For example the
    > pgd structures must be 4 kB aligned, it's required by the hardware. And I
    > think there was (is?) a structure where ptr & ~(size-1) was used to find the
    > start of the structure.

    I agree with the above if there is an issue there then lets fix it.

    > Thus the patch is correct, it's a bug in the slab allocator. If HWCACHE_ALIGN
    > is set, then the allocator ignores align or ARCH_SLAB_MINALIGN.

    But then Heiko does not want to set ARCH_SLAB_MINALIGN at all. This is not
    the issue we are discussing. In the DEBUG case he wants
    ARCH_KMALLOC_MINALIGN to be enforced even if ARCH_SLAB_MINALIGN is not
    set.

      Last update: 2006-07-26 20:31    [W:3.190 / U:0.156 seconds]