    SubjectRe: [ANNOUNCE][RFC] PlugSched-6.4 for 2.6.18-rc2
    Al Boldi wrote:
    > Peter Williams wrote:
    >> Al Boldi wrote:
    >>> Any reason dynsched couldn't be merged with plugsched?
    >> None that I know of (but I'm not familiar with dynsched). Patches to
    >> add it to the mix would be accepted and once in I would try to keep it
    >> in step with kernel changes.
    > I thought dynsched patches against plugsched, what else is needed?

    Hopefully, nothing but it may be necessary to modify the plugsched
    interface if dynsched can't be implemented against it "as is". E.g.
    both staircase and nicksched needed changes to what was required for
    ingosched and the SPA schedulers.

    >>> It may be really great, to allow schedulers perPid parent, thus allowing
    >>> the stacking of different scheduler semantics. This could aid
    >>> flexibility a lot.
    >> I'm don't understand what you mean here. Could you elaborate?
    > i.e: Boot the kernel with spa_no_frills, then start X with spa_ws.

    It's probably not a good idea to have different schedulers managing the
    same resource. The way to do different scheduling per process is to use
    the scheduling policy mechanism i.e. SCHED_FIFO, SCHED_RR, etc.
    (possibly extended) within each scheduler. On the other hand, on an SMP
    system, having a different scheduler on each run queue (or sub set of
    queues) might be interesting :-). The schedulers would probably have to
    have a common idea of how the run queue works though and this would
    restrict the choice of schedulers.

    I have no intentions (at the moment) of going down this path myself.

    However, I am thinking about making it possible to switch between the
    various SPA schedulers on a running system. A extension to this could
    be to attempt automatic selection of which scheduler to use possibly
    based on which users are logged in.

    Peter Williams

    -- Ambrose Bierce

      Last update: 2006-07-25 07:47    [W:0.024 / U:2.624 seconds]