SubjectRe: [RFC] input: Wacom tablet driver for simple X hotplugging
On Mon, Jul 24, 2006 at 06:28:32PM +0200, Magnus Vigerlöf wrote:
> On Sunday 23 July 2006 07:24, Dmitry Torokhov wrote:
> [...]
> > No, I was not talking about FUSD, just uinput driver that is in kernel
> > proper. Take a look at this:
> >
> > http://svn.navi.cx/misc/trunk/inputpipe/
> >
> > It allows making input devices "network-transparent" and for example
> > use joystick physically connected to one box to play game on another.
> > Hmm, actually it is almost what you need, you just need modify server
> > to multiplex events into single device instead of creating separate
> > input devices.
>
> Interesting.. This might be handy for other projects. However, implementing
> the same module again, but in userspace, for something that really should be
> handled in the X-server (and will in time), nah.. I think I'll see what the
> X-guys are up to and see how long they've come instead. Maybe I can contribute
> there in some way.

You get basic hotplug of input devices using xf86-input-evdev with
current versions, though you'd need current git for reasonable quality
tablet support. That may still lack some of the wacom specific bits.
(I'd have to look to see what the wacom driver does that
xf86-input-evdev doesn't do.)

Hotplug with arbitrary drivers is a harder job, and I'm still not sure
if we're talking having that done in 7.2 or 7.3. But it is coming.

All of that said, I'm going to have to agree with others, don't do it in
the kernel, because the need to do it in the kernel is going away.

Zephaniah E. Hull.

--
1024D/E65A7801 Zephaniah E. Hull <warp@aehallh.com>
92ED 94E4 B1E6 3624 226D 5727 4453 008B E65A 7801