SubjectRe: the " 'official' point of view" expressed by kernelnewbies.org
Date
H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> Al Boldi wrote:
> > Respect what? The process or the content?
> >
> > Rejecting content due to disrespect for process guidelines would be
> > rather sad.
>
> No, it's not. That's what you have to do to keep the kernel maintainable.
>
> > If the content is worth its salt, it should be accepted w/o delay, then
> > modified to comply with the process guidelines as necessary. It's what
> > the GPL allows, afterall.
>
> Uhm, no. That's basically "throw it over the fence and let someone
> else fix the crap." Fix it first, then it can go in.

Sure, it would be terrible, if we started to accept "crap", but I wouldn't
consider content that is worth its "salt", like reiserfs4, to be "crap".

Rejection of content should be based on technical merits only, and no process
guidelines should stay in the way of its preliminary acceptance. Otherwise,
we would be asking for a return to a bureaucratic system that inhibits
innovation, which I'm sure is not the intention of anybody, I hope.

BTW, this does not mean that impoliteness should be rewarded, on the
contrary, impoliteness has no place anywhere, and should just be ignored,
even if the content is worth its salt.

Thanks!

--
Al