    SubjectRe: REGRESSION: the new i386 timer code fails to sync CPUs
    On Sun, 23 Jul 2006 14:08:29 +0200
    Matthias Urlichs <> wrote:

    > Hi,
    > Andrew Morton:
    > > - CPU0 and CPU1 share a TSC and CPU2 and CPU3 share another TSC.
    > >
    > That mmakes sense, since they're one dual-core Xeon each.

    > > - Earlier kernels didn't use the TSC as a time source whereas this one
    > > does, hence the problems which you're observing.
    > >
    > Correct; see below.
    > > I assume that booting with clock=pit or clock=pmtmr fixes it?
    > >
    > Testing... yes, both.
    > > It would be useful to check your 2.6.17 boot logs, see if we can work out
    > > what 2.6.17 was using for a clock source.
    > >
    > That's easy:
    > 2.6.17 -Using pmtmr for high-res timesource
    > 2.6.18git +Time: tsc clocksource has been installed.
    > I missed those two lines, as in the boot logs they're not really
    > adjacent, so they got lost in the jumble of other differences.

    OK, thanks. Marking the TSC as bad in this case is simple to do - let us
    let John work out the best way.

    We must have lost a TSC sanity check somewhere along the way. I wonder
    what it was?

    > Interestingly, CPU0/1 gets 6000 bogomips while CPU2/3 only reaches 5600 ..?
    > (That happens with both kernels.) I do wonder why, and whether this has any
    > bearing on the current problem.

    I wouldn't expect it to matter, unless the TSCs are running at different
    speeds or something.

    Also the sched-domain migration costs are grossly different between the two
    kernels. Maybe we changed the migration-cost-estimation code; I forget.

    I'll see if we can get an expert opinion on the write_tsc() failure.

      Last update: 2006-07-23 14:45    [W:0.127 / U:27.276 seconds]