    SubjectRe: input/eventX permissions, force feedback
    Hi Anssi,

    On 7/18/06, Anssi Hannula <anssi.hannula@gmail.com> wrote:
    > Currently most distributions have /dev/input/event* strictly as 0600
    > root:root or 0640 root:root. The user logged in will not have rights to
    > the device, unlike /dev/input/js*, as he could read all passwords from
    > the keyboard device.
    >
    > This is a problem, because /dev/input/event* is used for force feedback
    > and should therefore be user-accessible.
    >
    > I can think of the following solutions to this problem:
    >
    > 1. Some creative udev rule to chmod /dev/input/event* less strictly when
    > it has a /dev/input/js* and is thus a gaming device.
    >
    > 2. Some creative udev rule to chmod /dev/input/event* more strictly when
    > it is a keyboard.
    >
    > 3. Have another force feedback interface also in /dev/input/js*.

    You can do it in udev looking either at MODALIAS or at EV and ABS
    environment variables. I think it is pretty safe to say that a device
    with EV_ABS, EV_FF, ABS_X and ABS_Y is a force-feedback joystick-type
    device and not a keyboard.

    Another solution would be to relax permissions if user is also console
    owner (home box installation).

    One thing is for sure - I do not like #3 at all ;)

    --
    Dmitry