    SubjectUSB HID output events
    I'm building and writing the firmware for a homebrew USB HID device.
    Currently it just behaves like a HID gamepad, with a set of buttons. The
    device has four lights associated with four of the buttons, which by
    default light up when the buttons are pressed. However, the host should
    be able to set the device in an override mode and take control of the
    lights independently.

    I'll be writing the userland interface software too (it will really just
    be a patch to a game), for linux. Does linux have a mechanism where a
    userland process can send events to a USB HID device? I am quite new to
    USB (this is my first project with it, although I managed to figure out
    how to implement a HID device based on some device-side driver code I
    found), and I'm not sure how I should go about implementing this, both
    device-side and host-side. The host-side process must be able to run
    non-root and still be able to access the lights.

    There should be two modes: automatic lights, and overriden lights. This
    can be implemented both in host-side and device-side (as controlled by a
    user configuration on the device). Ideally, both would be: if the host
    wishes to control the lights, and the user set the device to allow it,
    then the device will listen to the host's information. Otherwise (if the
    host is unwilling to control the lights at this time, or the device is
    set by the user to ignore the host's information, or both), then the
    device will revert to controlling the lights itself. This will allow for
    the user to control the setting on the device without having to mess
    around on the host software (which on its current implementation makes
    making this configuration change annoying, as it requires a reset to the
    main menu), and also allows the device to control the lights when the PC
    doesn't want to do it.

    I of course can set the device to do pretty much anything I want with
    USB. I'd need to make it allow receiving USB HID events (it already
    does, but currently ignores them). I'm not sure how I should implement
    this in USB descriptor format, though, or how the data should be formatted.

    Any help, pointers, or other information would be very appreciated.

    Sincerely,
    --
    Hector Martin (hector@marcansoft.com)
    Public Key: http://www.marcansoft.com/hector.asc