    SubjectRe: tty's use of file_list_lock and file_move
    On 7/10/06, Alan Cox <> wrote:
    > We hold file_list_lock because we have to find everyone using that tty
    > and hang up their instance of it, then flip the file operations not
    > because we need to protect against tty structs going away. It's needed
    > in order to walk the file list and protects against the file list itself
    > changing rather than the tty structs. It may well be possible to move
    > that to a tty layer private lock with care, but it would need care to
    > deal with VFS operations.

    Assuming do_SAK has blocked anyone's ability to newly open the tty,
    why does it need to search every file handle in the system instead of
    just using tty->tty_files? tty->tty_files should contain a list of
    everyone who has the tty open. Is this global search needed because of
    duplicated handles?

    Jon Smirl

      Last update: 2006-07-11 00:39    [W:0.021 / U:68.608 seconds]